Monday, January 08, 2007

the piano

The Piano was one of the most unique films I have ever seen. It tells the story of a woman named Ada who is married off. The thing that makes her unique is her love for the piano and that she hasn’t spoken since she was six. She used the piano and her music as her form of expressing emotions and as communication. Although this film was directed by a female director, the male sex was much more prominent in the movie. Ada was rather passive aggressive and she seemed to lack a lot of self respect. She also had her life dictated by men. This movie had a rather large emphasis on the mother-daughter relationship which I thought was rather feminine. Although it took a turn at the end of the film when Ada’s daughter turned on her. There were many disturbing parts to this film. I find the part of when Ada was giving herself up to George just to keep her piano degraded women. I also found it rather unique how the actor who played George was filmed fully naked. It is rare that you see a full frontal shot of a naked man in a movie. This portrayed a female director. I also felt that it was obvious the film was directed by a woman by how they portrayed men. The male sex was portrayed as dominant and heartless and pretty dirt-baggy. This was a rather feminine approach. I found it really interesting and unexpected when the relationship between Ada and her daughter changed. They were extremely close the entire movie and then towards the end her daughter switched sides to favor Ada’s new husband. I found the part when she turned on her mother and caused her to get her finger cut off really disturbing and twisted. Although the movie was not the type I would watch on my own, it was definitely like no other movie I have seen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home