Monday, January 08, 2007

The Piano

Despite how surprised I was after watching the film “the Piano”, I was nonetheless moved to reflect deeply about its meaning. To begin, it was definitely NOT a chick flick, though it was written by a female, Jane Campion. Indeed, the film was far from the fluffy predictability that I normally associate with chick clicks, instead it was gloomy, and I’m still not sure whether or not the ending was a happy one.

Perhaps in the end the main character Ada, made a decision that she thought she would find the most joy in, however, will she ever be truly joyful with that life? She will no longer be able to play the piano as she used to, and that is what kept her going through her time in New Zealand. However, maybe letting go of the piano was a good thing, giving her time to love her daughter and new husband. But, does she really love that man? I guess I never got the impression that she was really in love with him. Overall, I found the movie to be very dark and sad, but I did think that it ended with some hope, despite how weak that hope might have been.

I liked the movie, it was certainly on a topic that I was not very familiar with, that time period and that type of situation. It was sad, but interesting, not bad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vladigogo said...

can you push your assessment of the ending a bit more?

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home