Monday, January 08, 2007

The Piano

Upon watching the film I found the main character Ada very interesting. I think Jane Campion’s depiction of Ada is done in such a way that the audience understands and feels for her even though she never speaks. There is a connection between her sign language and facial expressions. Also, the way Campion uses the piano as Ada’s voice is a unique approach, which allows the audience to see how she finds happiness. This is especially evident when George takes her back to the beach to play the piano and we see her smile for the first time.

The vulnerability of the men in the film, especially George, stuck out to me, which could be a result of a female director. One instance of this is when Ada returns to George’s cabin upon getting her piano back he tells her he “can’t eat, can’t sleep” because she is gone. This is an example of him letting his guard down and telling her how he feels, which is not common for men to do, making me think Campion had an input here.

Overall I really liked this film, but it is hard to categorize it under one certain genre of film because it has so many elements . There is love, as seen between Ada and George, music, which comes from the piano, shock, as when Alisdair cuts off Ada’s finger, and the jealousy Alisdair feels towards George.

After the discussion this morning, I think it is safe to say that “The Piano” is in no way a chick flick. This movie is anything but predictable, and definitely not lighthearted in anyway, although Ada does end up leaving New Zealand with George, the man she truly loves. Before watching this movie I had no idea what to expect. Although my expectations of the film were extremely wrong, I nevertheless enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home