Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sleepless in Seattle

I first watched Sleepless in Seattle when I was very young. I couldn’t grasp the concept of everlasting love or what it was like to loose someone, so I didn’t understand why Sam Baldwin couldn’t move on with his life after his wife died. After watching the movie again, I realized how emotionally straining a loss of someone so close to you could hurt you so badly you wouldn’t want to open your heart again. Personally, I believe that men can feel the same way, but females are better at expressing it. I think that if a male were to have directed the film, the emotions of Sam’s loss and Annie’s longing wouldn’t have been brought out of the actors like it was on screen. It wouldn’t have had the same impact on women and men. A female director would more than likely know what to say to the actors to get the right reaction because women are more attune to their feelings and how to express them than men are. This isn’t a judgment; it’s merely an observation from experience and what science has evidence to prove as so.

Like Clueless, men aren’t portrayed in their normal light, as strong, unemotional people. They are shown as lesser in my opinion. They have more feminine traits due to the fact that a female is directing the film. The male characters are less abrasive, more caring, and softer than how men are usually depicted by male directors. The women in both these films seem to be portrayed, at first, as confused women who don’t know their path or what they want, but by the end of the movies, they are empowered. I believe that only in films written or directed by women, this is more evident than not and more of an occurrence than in movies written and directed by men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home