Sunday, January 07, 2007

I have seen the movie “Clueless” at least twenty times, no exaggeration. Its always on TV, so though I had never seen the whole movie in one session, I have watched snatches of it at least, as I said above, twenty times. The one thing that I noticed, however, was the fact that it was obviously directed by a woman. What man in his right mind would have a movie with high school girls exclaiming “like what?”, and “like, Oh my gosh”, and other “like” phrases. Not to mention the plot of the movie. Love.

Indeed, the main theme of the movie ends up being love. Predictable. As in all chick flicks, love is always there. Big surprise. I didn’t think the movie was bad or anything like that, but I could tell the exact direction it was headed from the very beginning. Is this a classic symptom of all women directors? Are they cursed to only make predictable chick flicks? The movie “Clueless” was creative in that it kind of made fun of the girls of the early nineties, it certainly made me laugh at some points. But I could tell from the start it was a chick flick, and there was no surprise in the ending. Is that bad? No, but is life ever really that predictable?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home