Sunday, January 07, 2007

SIS

Sleepless is Seattle was a total jogging of my memory. I know the movie came out in the early 90s, I vaguely remember it. I think I watched it with my mom when I was like 5 or 6. Of course, back then I didn't even understand what they were talking about except for the fact that I had a crush on Meg Ryan. Sleepless in Seattle was definitely a "chick flick" but I'm not convinced that it is solely because of a female director. Many chick flicks that are box office hits are directed by men, such as "Pretty Woman," or "50 First Dates." I think that Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks have great chemistry in both movies- Sleepless in Seattle and the 1998 hit "You've Got Mail." Sleepless in Seattle does indeed have an ending where you don't know what the results will be; I think this is the major flaw with this movie. Some movies can pull it off, but Sleepless in Seattle was SOLELY based on Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan's relationship- I think an ending with marriage would have been more appropriate. I believe this movie to be impeccable in its plot, however, and most of all: its soundtrack, which was nominated for 2 Academy Awards. The female direction of this film did not cross my mind at all- it doesn't seem like any film would, however. Surely, "chick flicks" would seem as if they would all be directed by women, but they are not. I think that it doesn't matter who's directing the movie, I think it is the movie's topic and central theme that makes it a "chick flick."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home