Monday, January 08, 2007

The "Less" Movies

Watching Sleepless in Seattle (for the first time) could not have come at a better time. This past Wednesday, my Grandfather passed away. After learning this (and the news that accompanied it, but that’s another story) I remembered the part where Sam tells the radio doctor that what helps him go in is to think, “I get up, get dressed, breathe in, breathe out, and eventually I won’t have to remind myself to do those things.”

Before I watched this movie, I was a bit reluctant because I figured it would be another boring ‘90’s chick flick that lags on. I found myself pleasantly surprised, and actually amused and involved in the story. I think the thing that shows this movie is directed by a woman is how the women run the relationships. Sam is where he is because he lost his wife. He gets hooked into talking to a woman doctor. It’s because of Annie that Sam flies across the country. Annie breaks off her engagement because she likes Sam. Women are the ultimate authority, which you expect from a female director, especially after reading Women Who Run The Show.

Clueless is a story by girls, about girls, for girls. Everything is about fashion, boys, and gaining responsibilities. I’ve always loved watching it through the years because when it came out, they seemed so much older. Now, it’s almost hard to imagine that they’re only high school sophomores, four years younger than I am. One of the things I noticed this time around was how much Cher fishes for compliments. She’s always pestering her friends and father into paying her compliments. It’s apparent that a woman wrote this movie because of how in tune with how girls’ minds work. Every thought process that Cher has, every girl can relate to. No offense to all you guys, but only a woman can portray those girly, teenage thoughts accurately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home