Tuesday, January 09, 2007

the piano

The Piano was a movie I enjoyed, I think it had a great theme and a great plot line behind it. There were indeed many symbolic interpretations to this movie. This movie was a little confusing for me, but I think I got the jist of it. If I were to watch this movie again, I would be able to pick up on many things that I didn't pick up on watching it for the first time. Some movies just take a few viewings before they can be truly understood (one of which I can recall is the movie Heist.) One of the things that confused me was the place in which it was set in. I couldn't tell if it was Australia or New Zealand, as both were colonies of Great Britain during the 19th century time era. As for the characters, I think all of them were dynamic. For instance, the "husband" was seemingly very accepting and patient at first. We were given an image of almost a nice man who treated his wife with respect. He changed by chopping her finger off (blunt I know.) Ada appears to be a very proper woman at first, extremely proper even. This changes as she is willing to prostitute herself for her piano. The daughter seems to be very close with her mother and very innocent. She changes by basically betraying her mother for what she considered to be "proper." In doing so, she got her mothers finger chopped off by the husband. This actually really angered me when I saw that her daughter would do that. I think it was also ironic that she was wearing those angel wings when she did so (at least, from what I can remember.) All in all, the movie was good, I'd watch it again- just to get exactly what I missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home