Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Lost in Translation

“Lost in Translation” was my favorite movie that we have watched so far this week. I thought the film was really intriguing and filmed amazingly. I was really impressed with how well the lighting and color schemes were done. I found it be extremely detailed and symbolic. The drab color scheme allowed any vibrant color to really stick out. I also found that the color was a symbolic way of describing the characters and moods. When Charlotte and Bob go out for a night on the town, the use of lighting is vivid. Coppola does a great job to make the surroundings luminous and bright. The one aspect of the film that I was a bit disappointed with was the ending. It felt unfinished and although I think it was intended to have the viewer imagine what they felt should happen, I would have preferred more detail about what happened when they got back to the United States. I was unsure about how I felt after the movie ended. I couldn’t decide if it ended happily ever after or if there was more to it than that. This seems to be a technique of Coppola’s because I had the same feeling at the end of “Virgin Suicides.” Although I found this movie to be really different from Coppola’s first film, “Virgin Suicides,” the lighting and color detail were also very intricate in that film. “Virgin Suicides” was depressing in a much more upfront way. I found “Lost in Translation” to be depressing at times but it was more realistic. “Virgin Suicides” had more of a disturbing approach. I think that “Lost in Translation” represents many stages of life. It represents the times in life where one loses perspective of what he or she wants. It also incorporates the times of uncertainty and passion. I though these themes were very well chosen because at some point, everyone is able to relate.

_Claudia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home